Friday, May 9, 2014

Summer Sea

This Summer I am working in Lewis county with Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF). The season will be full of 5-day clubs, fair outreach, Christian Youth In Action (CYIA), Good News Across America (GNAA) and some odd jobs here and there. Just in the first week here I've met so many new people at church activities and around town. Soon after arriving, I was asked to teach at a club the next day - complete with the warning this club has a rowdy bunch. I got to co-lead the club with a very sweet lady who so nicely stepped in to help out, as the normal club leader couldn't make it. The club went well and was a good reminder to be ready, willing and flexible in ministry. It looks like I'll get to help out at this club for two or three more weeks until school ends. Organizing some office stuff was the next job. I got the room with all the boxes and stuff to organize and put on shelves. It all got put away and ready just in time for the state board to meet in that room.


Before
After
As this Summer ministry takes place, I want to have a heart willing to be used by God - to have my focus on Christ as everything happens. My most common prayer request at this point in my life has been for me to focus on Christ. It sounds very "Christianese," but let me show you what I see behind that simple phrase. Matthew 14:22-33 is the story where Jesus walks on the water. When I read this passage I thought I wouldn’t have been as fast to step out on the water as Peter was. I probably would have been holding on to the boat, stepping with one foot to see if it's safe. But looking into Jesus eyes, He captivates the soul, and I am inclined to walk in the path He has for me. As soon as my eyes stray and I see my inabilities or am overwhelmed by life, I begin to sink like Peter. When my confidence is in God I can face anything, but when I start to look at myself I get insecure and overwhelmed. The words "you're useless" echo in my head and I wonder why God would choose me when so many others would not. Just like in Peter's case, Jesus will reach out and pull me up. My God does not abandon me, but He gives me His grace to handle everything that comes my way.

Please pray for me this summer to keep my focus on Christ.

-Josephine

No comments:

Post a Comment